The Dallas Museum of Art’s (DMA) video of its recent ‘Future of the DMA: Meet the Architect Finalists’ event is now available to view.
This is a fascinating introduction to the finalists taking part in the Reimagining the Dallas Museum of Art International Design Competition.
The Eugene McDermott Director of the DMA, Agustín Arteaga welcomed the Museum’s communities to learn more about the architect finalists – including their practice, design philosophy, and recent work. Lily Weiss, Executive Director of the Dallas Arts District talked about the continuing success of the District, and Malcolm Reading, Competition Director, introduced the six teams. Each gave a short presentation to the audience in the Museum’s Horchow Auditorium, which had sold out.
The public event, on Saturday May 13, marked the conclusion of a three-day site visit for the finalists, which also included a comprehensive tour of the DMA’s galleries and back-of-house spaces, a briefing symposium with DMA staff, and introductory meetings with the Architect Selection Committee.
The finalist teams now have until late June to develop their proposals before the Architect Selection Committee meets again to interview them and select a winner. The final design concepts will be exhibited in the DMA and online in early July with opportunities for communities to give feedback.
SPEAKERS (IN SPEAKING ORDER)
- Dr Agustín Arteaga, The Eugene McDermott Director, DMA
- Lily Weiss, Executive Director, Dallas Arts District
- Malcolm Reading, Competition Director, Malcolm Reading Consultants
- Fuensanta Nieto and Enrique Sobejano, Nieto Sobejano Arquitectos
- Michael Maltzan, Michael Maltzan Architecture
- Sharon Johnston, Johnston Marklee
- Marion Weiss and Michael Manfredi, Weiss / Manfredi
- Billy Prendergast, David Chipperfield Architects
- Elizabeth Diller, Diller Scofidio + Renfro