This is a two-stage international design competition comprising an open call for submissions — including team composition, relevant experience, company details, and an initial project reaction — followed by a design stage for a shortlist of five competitors.
The competition warmly welcomes local, Texas-based, US, international, emerging and established practices.
The DMA is seeking an integrated multidisciplinary design team (led by an architect) capable of providing the full range of professional input and services for the project, and including:
- Lead Design Architect
- Landscape Architect
- Exhibition Designer
- Engineering disciplines, including structural, services and sustainability
Teams may include additional consultants deemed necessary to the design approach if required.
Please note: cost consultancy and project management services related to this project will be procured separately by the client and do not form part of this procurement process.
At the second stage of the competition, internationally-based teams will be required to partner with a design practice registered to practice in the State of Texas; the competition encourages creative collaboration.
For full details, please refer to the Search Statement.
The first stage of the competition was an open call for submissions — a Request for Qualifications — including proposed team composition, relevant experience, company details, and an initial reaction to the project. No detailed design submission was expected at stage one.
Please note the deadline for stage one submissions has now passed.
All submissions will be reviewed by the DMA and their advisors, including MRC. All competitors (successful and unsuccessful) will be notified of the outcome of the first stage.
A shortlist of up to five teams will be selected to compete at stage two and prepare concept designs. These finalists will receive a detailed program and will be invited to attend a site visit and briefing workshop. A virtual design workshop will be held halfway through the design period.
The stage two submission requirements are anticipated to include presentation boards, a design portfolio, a technical proposal (including an area schedule and scaled drawings), a physical model, a video presentation, and a commercial proposal.
An exhibition of the finalist concept designs will be held at the Museum and the schemes will also be available to view online, giving the community an opportunity to view the submissions and give their feedback.
Competitors will present to the Museum’s Architect Selection Committee, who will interview each team and recommend a winner to the Board of Trustees for final approval.
An honorarium of US$50,000, as well as a contribution to expenses of up to US$10,000, will be paid to each shortlisted design team, following the selection of the winner.
The winner announcement is expected in August 2023.
The membership of the Architect Selection Committee comprises:
- Jennifer Eagle, Architect Selection Committee Co-Chair
- Lucilo Peña, Architect Selection Committee Co-Chair; Former Trustee; President of Development, Billingsley Company
- Agustín Arteaga, The Eugene McDermott Director, Dallas Museum of Art
- Zaida Basora, FAIA; Executive Director, The American Institute of Architects – Dallas
- Mary McDermott Cook, Trustee
- Jeff Ellerman, Chairman of the Board of the Trustees; Vice Chairman CBRE
- Marguerite Steed Hoffman, Former Trustee
- Darren L. James, FAIA; NOMA; President, KAI Enterprises
- Howard Rachofsky, Former Trustee
- Catherine Marcus Rose, Trustee and Former President of the Board of Trustees
- Deedie Rose, Trustee
- Jennifer Scripps, President and CEO Downtown Dallas, Inc.
- Gowri Sharma, President of the Board of Trustees
- Gayle Stoffel, Trustee
|Stage One Launch||Thursday, February 16|
|Deadline for Questions||10:00 CST (GMT‑6) Friday, March 3|
|Stage One Deadline||10:00 CDT (GMT‑5) Wednesday, March 15|
|Stage Two Launch||Mid-to-late April|
|Site Visit||Early May|
|Stage Two Deadline||Late June|
All dates 2023.